I think it's important to note that much of what happens to students is in the preparation they receive before attempting higher education. In order to relate to our students, we have to in some way be able to understand the backgrounds from which they come. My teaching experience is very limited, but I was chosen for my position based on race, my ability to relate and understand my students, and my comfort level with the material I was teaching.
For many adults, transitioning from the high school to college environment, there is a level of comfort that is not necessarily there. I was fortunate to be exposed to college and dorm life through a Program called Upward Bound. In this program, we lived on the college campus all summer long in dorms. We went to classes, we ate at the college cafeteria, we interacted with other college students. But for many, if they make it to college, they may be in an environment where for the first time they are the only African American in class.
Diversity in Higher Education
No comments:
Post a Comment